The greatest gift is the present.



Currently Known


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Just watching the Brit awards. I TiVo'd it. Okay I didn't TiVo it because I have a cheaper, Canadian version of a TiVo. Should I be capitalizing it that way? I don't know really, it just seemed right. I'd be surprised if that's right. Why the hell did I capitalize it that way? Who knows, anyway on with what the hell I was going to say... what was it...

Oh yeah. Prince. He just performed on the Brit awards and did four songs. I really have to hand it to that little guy. He seems gay, but I don't think he is. He's the gayest not gay person I've ever seen. Anyway I think he's fantastic. He had an all girl band (except for the bass player; token male) playing with him, and they were so good live that I found myself really getting into the fact that they were female and so good. Why is that? Why should it make a differrence? Don't know. Hope you weren't looking for something profound there. They were hot, that's all I know. But the hottest of all was the drummer. I couldn't take my eyes off her. Then at the end of the last song (Let's go Crazy, one of my earliest rock solo guitar influences because it has this ROCKING guitar solo at the end using a crybaby wah pedal) he introduced her. It was Sheila E. Wow. I now want to go find every Sheila E. album ever made. Did she make more than one album? Who knows. She's hot, that's all I know. Great drummer too.

But what amazed me about Prince was how good he was live. His vocals were bang on (no he wasn't lipsynching, I have a very sensitive lip-synch detector) He does this falsetto vocal that cascades off into weird riffs and runs and goes right back into a scream or a softer vocal. Very cool. He was duet singing with one of his backup singers, sharing the same mic and he gave her what looked like an impromptu kiss on the cheek. I liked that. It was funny too, because the whole time she was staring at him like she was in love. I always wonder how much of that stuff is planned.

Anyway he's very short, and one of the presenters that came on later mentioned that he spotted Prince back stage sleeping in his shoe.

Cool.


4 Responses to “Currently Known”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I caught bits of that show tonight, too, but missed the Prince part (fellows I was visiting were in control of the remote, so much skimming through of content)...

    Prince has always had female musicians playing with him.. I thought of Sheila E before reading your next paragraph, and I believe Sheena Easton also worked with him for a while... AND, some interview/article about Prince back in his Purple Rain days, about his youth, mentioned that he would tie girls up and then string them up to the ceiling of his garage somehow... so, while not gay, he's definitly not the "vanilla" sex type either. But you probably already guessed that.

    I was impressed by the hard-rockin' girl singers... I'm horrible with names, but the "since you were gone" chick and the one after who had the black and white backup dancers, both seemed to be much more vocally powerful than the guys performing.. and I was commenting that I hoped they had actual voice coaches training them to sing that way without stressing their vocal chords and injuring themselves!

    After that, we watched about six episodes of Project Runway and Project Catwalk, totally filled my high-fashion quota for the year.

    X.

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Well done!
    [url=http://gwabqxph.com/ckro/zqkn.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://znoqonsu.com/lsmc/ubgo.html]Cool site[/url]

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 
  4. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Great work!
    http://gwabqxph.com/ckro/zqkn.html | http://azospxbd.com/wyaz/okat.html

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Dave
  • From MIssissauga, ON, Canada
  • Hi. I'm Dave
  • My profile
  • Previous posts

    Archives

    Links