The greatest gift is the present.



Coffee in the Marnin'


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Oh, I really have nothing for you, but I thought you'd find it interesting what happens when Dave runs out of sugar. First of all I should explain how I make coffee because it's related to how I make coffee. I have have something called a Swiss Filter. Okay it may not be called that but it has the word "Swiss" in it, or maybe "Swedish". And it has two parts: one is the container that, um, contains the coffee (it has a fine screen at the bottom) and the other is a sleeve that fits into the first container and it presses down on the coffee a bit and has holes in the bottom. You place this whole contraption, complete with coffee grounds sandwiched between the two plastic halves, on top of a coffee cup. Just pour boiling water.

It works very well, and produces a quite acceptable, if single, cup of coffee. I like it strong, and you can make coffee so strong it wakes you up just touching the handle of your mug.

Of course this is the time I put sugar in and cream. That is, after the brewing has taken place. But I'm out of sugar, and all I have in the house is a big squeeze thing of honey. You may be saying "just buy some more sugar" but I am fully aware I won't remember to do that for quite a few months. So NOW what I do is pour the honey right on top of the coffee grounds, assemble the Swiss Filter, and presto! Pre-sweetened coffee. The only trouble is I have to rinse it out a lot better afterwards. Yes it's a bachelor thing.

I'm currently working on a way to get the cream in there too. Why bother with this? It's the stirring, of course. All that work of stirring the coffee is just within reach of being eliminated. But about adding cream to the filter: currently it cools down the boiling water too much and I get medeocre tasting coffee and a VERY big mess in the Swiss Filter. Hey... what about powdered coffee creamer?

Just have to go try something. (Senseo, eat your heart out)


5 Responses to “Coffee in the Marnin'”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Put creamer in the cup first, then do your thing....the water coming through will stir it for you. :)

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Mmmmmmm... coffee.

    It's funny you mentioned coffee- I had been thinking that I felt like painting coffee lately. You know, like a cup of coffee? With something interesting reflected either in the cup or, better yet, the surface of the coffee? I was going to mention it last night when we were chatting. Maybe you actually will get a painting from me....

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Ditto Pensguys' comment, weirdly I hate stirring too (?) it's so pathetic, I know, but I always put the creamer in first to minimize stirring. It's really a skill I developed in the waiting rooms of hospitals where they are ALWAYS out of stir sticks and I can't do black coffee no matter how hard I try.

    Cool idea Susan!

    Honey in coffee? Does that taste good at all? I love
    honey, but that just sounds.... ick LOL NEVER put
    honey in Malto Meal, for instance.
    honey

    just had to line up the honeys in even numbers =p (it probably won't line up when it's posted, but it did when I was writing it) (ok, so I forced it) -- duh I'm not even on drugs, so there's no excuse for this insanity

  4. Anonymous Anonymous 

    My aunt taught me that the best way to make a cup of tea is to brew the tea in a tea pot and to always put the cream in the cup before pouring the tea in. Is that an English thing? Does your mom do that? :)

  5. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I have one of those coffee thingies. I have never thought to put honey in with the grounds. I want to try this thing though, I hear it makes an awesome cup of coffee.

    April, my grandfather always put honey in his coffee and he lived to be 94. I'm not saying they two are connected but you never know! ;)

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Dave
  • From MIssissauga, ON, Canada
  • Hi. I'm Dave
  • My profile
  • Previous posts

    Archives

    Links